The Yasser Arafat Foundation (YAF) announces nominations for the 2012 Yasser Arafat Award for Achievement. On an annual basis, YAF grants the Award to an individual, institution or working team as a token of appreciation of achievements scored in national, cultural, social, economic, scientific or academic endeavours. The Yasser Arafat Award for Achievement comprises a certificate, trophy and financial honorarium of US$ 25,000. The Award is conferred in the annual celebration of the anniversary of the departure of the late President Yasser Arafat.
Assessment and Nomination Criteria
A special committee (Committee on the Yasser Arafat Award for Achievement) examines nominations submitted to YAF and selects a winning applicant. Evaluation is informed by five components:
• The achievement should be genuine and innovative;
• The achievement should establish an entrepreneurial approach in the selected field;
• The effort made to materialise the achievement should be significant and denotes due diligence and commitment;
• The achievement should exert a large-scale, positive and sustainable impact on the society; and
• The achievement should receive popular appreciation, especially among immediate beneficiaries.
The Award Committee is not responsible for establishing evidence of an applicant’s qualification or fulfilment of short documents supporting their nomination. The applicant will prepare a complete file, including an integrated background, achievements and fulfilment of all conditions mentioned above. Based on a meticulous assessment, the Committee shortlists applicants who merit the Award. Following an additional evaluation, the winning applicant is selected.
1. The nominee must be either a living Palestinian individual, an existing organisation (as a whole, not one of its components), or a working team that has provided noteworthy services to the Palestinian homeland through their work in any of the aforementioned areas. A non-Palestinian may be nominated if they have provided noteworthy services to Palestine.
2. Individuals may not nominate themselves for the Award. This applies to a nomination by an organisation or board of directors of a respective director or vice versa.
3. The nominating party may be either Palestinian or Arab. The Committee will only accept nominations submitted by the following parties:
a) Boards representing juridical organisations and foundations.
b) Distinguished and duly qualified individuals who have a recognised professional reputation.
4. Nominations beyond the five areas mentioned above will not be considered.
5. Not a nomination submitted without attachments documenting the achievement will be considered. Nominees are also advised to provide print out copies of handwritten materials.
6. The deadline for nomination submissions is 31 July 2012.
Our Palestinian people is abounding in individuals, institutions and working teams that have made a plethora of achievements worthy of appreciation. The Committee on Yasser Arafat Award for Achievement urges all interested parties to compete and win the Award. Previously shortlisted applicants can be re-nominated for the Award.
To receive a nomination application form, please call the Award Committee’s Secretariat at YAF.